Qualified Opportunity Zone
“The Qualified Opportunity Zone is a powerful incentive that the city is excited to layer with existing incentives like the Neighborhood Revitalization District. Our focus is on making deals happen,” Don Cawby, City Manager, City of Osawatomie
As the Opportunity Measurement Report 360 indicates, the City of Osawatomie and its region has its share of challenges. By effectively administering the Qualified Opportunity Zone program, the city hopes to turn the tide by creating jobs that enable workers to invest in homes creating a more stable environment for their families.
They hope to build on the growing sense of security,hopefulness and community pride also reflected in the Opportunity report.
The district includes almost 200 acres of development ready property owned by the City of Osawatomie. The land is zoned industrial. Current parcel sizes are 77 acres, 60 acres and 57.5 acres. Each can be subdivided.City incentive policies allow for the ground to be gifted to investors based on their anticipated investment and job growth.
The location is within the Greater Kansas City Foreign Trade Zone.
Within this area, the City of Osawatomie is largely focused on the full range of industrial tenants or heavy commercial users. Examples include manufacturers, distribution and sorting processes, contractor yards,and call centers. The location allows for multiple workforce shifts, outside storage and moderate noise generators.
This site is adjacent to US 169 Highway, a four-lane highway with a diamond interchange that provides direct connections to Kansas City and Tulsa, OK.
- Nearest Interstate: I-35; 30 miles
- Nearest 4-Lane Highway: US 169 Highway; 1 mile
- Nearest Commercial Airport: Kansas City International Airport; 67 miles
- Nearest Port: Port KC; 51 miles
- Nearest Intermodal: Logistics Park Kansas City; 30 miles
The site’s proximity to two intermodal facilities is a huge advantage. Logistics Park Kansas City is located on BNSF Railway’s transcontinental main line. From the proposed site, carriers can make a round trip, including onsite time, in less than 90 minutes. The facility offers direct-rail and carload services along with transload operations. Across the state line, CenterPoint-KCS Intermodal Center anchored by Kansas City Southern. This north-south mainline connects to Port of Lázaro Cárdenas. From the proposed site, carriers can make a round trip, including onsite time, in less than two and half hours.
Median Household Income
Population under 18
Population older than 65
Miami County, KS
City of Osawatomie
Source: American Community Survey 5-year Averages for 2012-2016
2017 Annual Labor Force Statistics
|Persons In Labor Force|
Average 2017 Unemployment Rate
|No.||% Total||No.||% Total||No.||% Total|
Demographic breakdowns of the Qualified Opportunity Zone:
- Enterprise Opportunity360 Measurement Report for the Designated Zone
- Household Characteristics, Report DP02, 2013-2017 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates
- Employment Characteristics, Report DP03, 2013-2017 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates
- Housing Characteristics, Report DP04, 2013-2017 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates
- Demographic and Housing Estimates, Report DP05, 2013-2017 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates